Wednesday, February 22, 2012

it's that time again...

so today . . . i am sitting here, waiting to race to the bathroom...

yes, it is that time of year again. my annual colonoscopy is scheduled for friday. i say annual, but i have managed, thru several circumstances, to avoid it for an extra seven months. maybe not the best decision health-wise, but as i am sitting here, drinking my first bottle of magnesium citrate and waiting for it to do it's evil thing, i can't say i am sad that it has been so long...

as you know, i am a world class procrastinator. it's amazing i ever get anything done at all! but i find my procrastinating skills are best showcased when it comes to making doctor appointments. i am an odd combination of whiny crybaby and doctor avoider. i don't mind actually going to the doctor, but i hate making the appointments. i don't know why... it is probably because i have kaiser insurance (which i mostly love,) and their appointment center is automated. machines don't give you choices. machines don't listen to my scheduling issues. machines just say, "here is the next appointment. do you want it or not." and if i say i don't want it, there is no going back if it turns out the first appointment was actually the best choice. so i just avoid all of this by not making appointments... until i absolutely have to. in fact, i've been known to go sit for hours in urgent care waiting to see a doctor rather than make an appointment.

i know. i have issues.

right now, my issue is hunger. i'm starving! all i can think about are chocolate chip cookies and cheeseburgers! but instead i'm drinking my water. it is not satisfying. at all. i've been wondering if i could get by with eating just a few bites of a chocolate chip cookie... i'm thinking that if i chew and chew and chew it up until it is pretty much liquified, how much trouble could it cause? i bounced this idea off rollie, who said "don't do it!" (of course. of course he said don't do it! that would be breaking the rules of colon prep.) but he continued, "it's a slippery slope..." (that's what i say every time a store tries to get me to sign up for a credit card :) ) ok, so maybe a chocolate chip cookie isn't a good idea, but maybe i could just suck on a piece of dove dark chocolate... or lick a hamburger...

and this is only the beginning. i can't eat anything all day tomorrow either, but it will be worse, because i am going to be home! my only consolation is that at least my kitchen is not currently stocked with delicious things to eat--i haven't made it to the grocery store yet after being gone for two weeks.

finally, my procrastination pays off :)

and so, here i sit, with nothing to eat, waiting... just waiting... and waiting...

don't look for a blog tomorrow. i'm pretty sure you are not going to want to hear about my day.

unless you are a fan of whining...

2 comments:

Carroll said...

Three days in a row! Wow that's some kind of a recent record for blogging for you Julie. I sure remember when we were there and you nearly passed out on the kitchen floor trying to drink all that stuff. How I hate that prep work. My brother Derald recently had his first colonoscopy and he just turned 80. I know that's hard to believe. Anyhow, he cheated I'm quite sure because his was scheduled at 7:00 and it wasn't until 3 and drinking gallons more stuff that they finally were able to get the passage clear enough to do the colonoscopy. He said he'd never have another test of any kind. He's never been sick and never been in the hospital and has absolutely no ympathy for anyone who has physical problems. I think he finally found out that life isn't all fun and games. So no! I'm with Rollie. No food. No cheating! Hang in there! Love you Julie!

mom said...

I've been reading your blogs but my ipad won't allow me to post comments. Either that or I haven't figures out how yet. I have enjoyed them all. Hope Friday goes well.