Friday, September 3, 2010

moving. AGAIN!!!

so today . . . i am tired. i am sore. i have no brain.

i have lived at school since wednesday. i worked thirteen hours on wednesday and thursday with just short food breaks, and today i worked eleven hours. my feet are killing me...

why, you ask?? because we found out just a couple of days before school was starting that some of us had to switch classrooms. and if you are a teacher, or know a teacher, you know how much stuff we tend to accumulate. so moving has been no small feat!

this is the third year in a row i have had to move to a different classroom! and the last two times, circumstances dictated that i could not move all of my things. which was a pain, because i had to choose which materials i really, really needed and leave the others. so i took the more useful ones and left the more fun ones--not really the way i prefer to teach, but it's just the way things had to be. but this time, i was able to move ALL of my stuff. i'm excited to have easy access to more puzzles and games and toys. as i was moving stuff, it was almost like christmas! ("oooo, i forgot i had this!" ) but it was a huge job to accomplish in a short amount of time, while also trying to keep my classroom functioning and training a new assistant...

i am so tired, i cannot talk at the same time i am doing anything else! really!! my brain cannot seem to process language while i am thinking about what i am doing. this morning i was just standing in the kitchen, trying to figure out how to get cream cheese onto my bagel at the same time i was trying to talk to rollie, and not doing either one successfully! rollie finally said, "just talk--i'll fix the bagel." and he did.

i got to school, faced with what i hoped would be my last day of moving AND teaching a new class of 12 little dumplings, and was soon immobilized by the enormity of the task. i just stood there and looked at the half-filled cabinets and the tables stacked with puzzles and toys and books and art supplies. i couldn't organize my thoughts as to where to put anything! so i did the only thing i could do... i drank a diet coke.

i came home about 7:00 tonight, dropped my aching body onto the couch, and wondered how i would get up. i plugged in my computer (because i haven't been on the internet since my lunch time on wednesday!!!) and tried to catch up on my internet activities, but my brain is oatmeal...

so i am going to bed. and i am going to sleep, sleep, sleep for three days. i will probably not blog--unless something really funny happens. but what could happen to me if all i do is sleep??? probably not much...

so have a great three day weekend, and i'll be back next week--hopefully with cute stories from my new favorite kids!

2 comments:

Maher Family said...

I know your pain and have been there before. It is utterly exhausting and a HUGE job within itself. I never understood why they always switched classrooms and considered more of the burden it places on teachers. God bless you and restore you!!

mom said...

Been there. Done that. Never understood admimistration that couldn't let teachers know when they were switching rooms. I can't believe it takes all summer for them to make that simple decision. Seems almost deliberate that they wait so long. Guess it has something to do with "I've got the power" or they are slow or not very good at making and informing others about decisions. Remember when I used to have 2 weeks before the students arrived and you and your friend used to come and help? Where have all the good old days gone? Get rested and be glad (I guess) that the worst is over....Wish I had been there to help.....