Monday, May 11, 2009

my phone hates me . . .

so today . . . i picked up my phone to check out what the weather was going to be like before i got dressed.

i don't know why i do that. i know what it is going to say at this time of the year--a.m. clouds clearing to blue skies, high of 78-82. i know this, and yet every morning i check. it's like i can't make a clothing decision until i see if it is going to rain (?!?--meaning i must wear my ugg boots) or be cold (that means 68-72--which requires tights and a coat) or just hot (88-92--where are my sandals and tank tops?) it's like i think i need to make choices, when really i don't--because it is going to be sunny, warm, and moderate, and so pretty much anything will be fine.

but this morning when i picked up my phone to check the weather, it said i had two text messages. i knew one was the weather, but what was the other one? i hit the button to see who the message was from, and my phone shut itself off. ok, that happens sometimes. it isn't a big deal. it will turn itself back on, and then i will check my messages. i wait. and i really don't have time to wait, because you know what good friends i am with my snooze alarm. so if i don't want to be late, i need to get moving. but i can't get dressed until i check the weather, and i can't check the weather until i read my messages (because the weather IS one of my messages,) and i can't read my messages until my phone comes back on. so i wait.

finally the light comes on. yessss!! and the screen is blank. hmmm. this is a new development. i wait another minute or two, and then decide nothing is going to happen. so i do what i always do when my electronics refuse to do what i want them to--i take out the battery! usually this works for me. i don't know why, and everyone i know who knows about electronics tells me to stop doing it, but it is the only tool i have in my tool box to deal with electronic malfunctions. unfortunately this time it does not work, and i still have a blank screen staring me in the face.

my phone has been misbehaving for a few months now--not often enough or consistently enough to be able to take it in and have it fixed, but just enough to annoy me. it randomly shuts itself off, so it's hard to take it in for repair, because i can't say, "it shuts itself off when i . . . " because i never know when it is going to happen. and usually it comes right back on, so it is not incapacitating, it's just a little inconvenient.

but this time i cannot get it to come back on. well, technically i guess it comes back on, but since the screen is blank it is pretty much useless. i finally decide i had better just guess about the weather and get dressed and out the door. i dump my defective communication device with rollie and say, "help me!" and head for my closet.

rollie had to do a hard reset to get it working again. what this means is that all the information i had stored in my phone was gone. GONE. ok, again, not such a big deal. i will just sync it with my computer which will restore most of my info--EXCEPT FOR ANYTHING I HAVE DONE IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS!!! but i don't have a lot of options here. if he doesn't do it, i don't have anything. so i say go ahead and do it, i grab the syncing cable and dash out to the car and off to work.

when i get to work, i sync my irritable phone with my computer. it took a long time, because it wasn't just updating--it was loading all the information back in from nothing. finally it was done. finally. great, i thought, now i can see what that other message was that came in last night. so i punched the button to read my text messages and found . . . two week old text messages.

yep! the new messages were gone, gone, gone. so now i will never know who that message was from or what it said.

or what the weather was like today . . .

3 comments:

SCUOTTO GRAPHICS PLUS (SGP) Blog said...

Julie, you can check Rick and Dawn off your list. The text message didn't come from us this time.

Wendy said...

You have more issues with electronics than me! I really need to visit to get your little life in sync again! I need another cup of coffee! Oh! And does anyone in Southern Cali wear uggs? You silly girl! I can just see your skinny little stick legs in them! I know you love me! You said so on Facebook!

Jewelielyn said...

yes we wear uggs! some people even wear them in the summer with their shorts! not me, of course, but i've seen it . . .