Saturday, May 30, 2009

why do i even make a plan?!?

so today . . . did not go according to my plan AT ALL!!!

my plan was get up early, start working on cleaning up the sewing room (soon to be a guest room--well, not soon NOW, because as i said, my plan was thwarted . . . ) harvest my facebook farm early in the afternoon so i wouldn't have to stay up until midnight, do laundry, go to old navy (sale ended today,) and a few other assorted tasks as well.

my list is always longer than i will ever possibly be able to finish, but at least it gives me some direction.

it started off badly when i woke up feeling punky. so i went back to sleep. i stayed in bed until 11:00, and even then, i only got up because i knew i had things i had to get done today. so i fought my way past dogs and down comforters and got dressed. i thought about starting the laundry, but first thought i should go check on diandra and make sure she was still breathing . . .

no, wait a minute--i didn't check on diandra until almost 2:00--oh yeah, before i checked on diandra, i did a few errands. there was no way i was going to get through this day without m&m's, and i was out of m&m's. but when i got back from doing errands, i checked to make sure diandra was still breathing. she got home about 7:00 a.m. from the teen overnighter, and of course headed straight to bed. but by 2:00, i thought i should be hearing some sounds from her room, and it was still eerily quiet. so i peeked in, and saw she was just waking up and was HUNGRY. we struck a deal where she would get up and collect the laundry, and i would go get us lunch.

you see, rollie was gone today. he got up early, as usual (the only one who did) to play basketball, and then went to a scuba show this afternoon. that is partly why my plan for the day went awry--when he is here i seem to get up and around earlier. although today it probably wouldn't have mattered even if he had been here . . .

ANYWAY, i went to chick-fil-a for lunch. i went throught the drive-thru, as usual and ordered food for diandra and a kid's meal for myself, with a diet soda. i have done this numerous times, and never thought a thing about it. but today, when i rolled up to the take out window, the woman working the window handed me my tiny, child-sized soda and said, "the child's soda is diet?!?" and i thought, "oh no! she thinks this meal is for my child and that i am giving them a diet soda!" i was horrified. so i said, "yes, but it isn't for a child, it's for me. i would never give a child a diet soda!" she handed me the rest of my food, but i'm sure she was thinking, "yeah, right! i'm going to remember that license plate number and turn that woman in for child abuse . . . " now i feel guilty. and the truth is, i did get a diet soda for my child, but she is almost 24 years old, so does that count?! and my mom would say that i am her child, so why would i not give diet soda to a small tot, but i would pour it into myself? she thinks i am slowly killing myself with the stuff . . .

maybe i should just switch to iced tea and be rid of the guilt. i've tried to do that, but the diet soda always lures me back--"just have one with your pizza. how can you eat pizza without drinking soda? it just isn't right! they go together like salt and pepper, or bacon, lettuce, and tomato." and then it's "you haven't had a soda for such a long time. just have one as a treat!" or the ever popular, "they are out of iced tea, and you have already paid for a drink, so just have the diet soda." as i write this, i am thinking "hmmm--that diet soda sounds a lot like the devil!"

again, ANYWAY, i got home with the lunch, started the laundry, and diandra and i sat down to watch a movie. did you see "watch a movie with diandra" on my list for today? i don't think so. but it seems like we have been ships passing lately, so i toss my list away and settle in to watch a movie with my girl! as luck would have it, we watch a jessica simpson movie. this, of course, turns our thoughts to hair, and we decide to go have something done with ours. we have this flyer . . .

so we go to a new salon--well actually the salon isn't new, but this particular stylist is. she is so new, that everything she uses has to be taken out of the package before she can use it. this worries me a little bit, but there we are. so she starts highlighting diandra's hair. and after an hour and a half, i begin to think that we might have to have food delivered . . . it is taking forever!!!! when she finishes, diandra is not totally happy with the result, but i don't think it is too bad--it just isn't as good as it could have been. my haircut, on the other hand, looks pretty good i think. (don't worry--it isn't drastically different--just a bit shorter.)

by the time we get home it is 8:00 p.m., and i have done nothing, i repeat NOTHING from my list yet. so first things first, i start the laundry and then turn on my computer to farm . . . because a farmer's work is never done . . .

1 comment:

mom said...

I'm not the only one that thinks so. Dr. Oz also thinks so.
This is hilarious. That's the trouble with us organized people. We never get anythng done. haha At least not according to the "schedule."