Tuesday, February 10, 2009

no, i'm not related to kevin bacon

so today . . . i was on facebook. i know, i know, i spend way too much time online, but there it is.

anyway, i was on facebook, and i had three requests for an application about relatives. normally i don't like to add new applications because they tend to clutter up my page. but this request came from my daughter, one of my nieces, and another very cool guy who i kind of think of as a nephew, but he is really the son of my cousin, so i don't know what that makes him to me, but we act like he is diandra's cousin so i think of him like a nephew . . .

ANYWAY, the idea is this-- i mark the people on my contact list who are relatives, and then send the app on to those people. and then they do the same. as this continues, we each theoretically end up finding people we didn't even know we were related to--think "six degrees of separation" only with people you are related to, and not kevin bacon. since i love the people who asked me to do this, i did it--even though i had to add an app.

it only took a few seconds to go through my list and mark my relatives, but something interesting happened as i did that. i found myself starting to mark people that are not related to me! now, i have a wonderful family--i wouldn't trade them for any other group of people. but i guess i've also been blessed with some very good friends. some are people who have gone through difficult circumstances with me. some are people i have known for a long time. some are people who are like me in so many ways that it is hard to believe we are NOT related. and with some, there is just an unexplainable connection--it's like our brains are networked.

i needed to see that. sometimes i feel like an island in the middle of a huge ocean, and it was good to be reminded that i'm not. i have bridges to lots of other islands. most of these islands don't live where i live, but thank goodness for bridges (like the internet!) i was never someone who had a lot of friends, but i AM someone who has some awesome friends! and i am so thankful for that!!

so thank you, to you guys who are my friends. it's good to know you are out there. i love you!

and to diandra, holly, and james--thanks for bugging me with the new app! i love you guys too!!

1 comment:

Diandra Ann said...

:) the same thing happened to me! I had to really think about who i was ACTUALLY related to!