Sunday, March 29, 2009

it's all in the eyes . . .

so today . . . when i drove into the church parking lot, this is what i saw:i pulled out my phone to call diandra and tell her that she had better hurry up and get there, or she might not get to park with the other jeeps :) (incidentally, these are the boy's jeeps--diandra's is way cooler AND has bigger tires! i guess that means she wins!!) but instead of calling, i decided to text her and send a photo. when i opened up the camera app on my phone, this is the picture that appeared:which brings me to my blog for today.

it is time (probably past time) for me to get new glasses, so i've been shopping around. last time i went to costco, because they had good prices and i found frames there that i loved! this time, i thought i would look around a bit for frames, buy the ones i liked, and then take them to costco and have lenses put in. sounds simple, doesn't it . . .

it wasn't. it was so confusing. there are sales and specials, but they are different at each location and nearly impossible to compare. i don't even know where to begin to make a decision. the only thing i know for sure is that i really do need sunglasses. as much as the sun shines here (and considering my car) my eyes need the protection as well as the ability to see clearly when i am out. so i started looking for sunglasses as well.

i went to target to check out their optical department, and that is when i saw the sunglasses pictured above! do those look perfect for me or what?!?!? they are tortoiseshell frames with tiny little rhinestones on the earpieces! i am in love!! so i picked them up thinking, they are sunglasses--they'll probably be about $50. but they do have rhinestones, so they might be a little bit more. try $129.00!!! just for the frames--add in the progressive lenses that my aging eyes need and the bill now tops out at $304.00--and that is including my 30% off AAA discount!! i was stunned!! for sunglasses?!?!?

so i start adding numbers up in my head--just guessing, because again, all those different deals are hard to sort out--and i am thinking that if i replace the lenses in my current frames, get another pair of glasses (for back up and variety) and sunglasses, even with the special deals, i might have to sell a kidney. as i am kind of attached to my internal body parts, i think that is not a solution.

it just irritates me to have to spend that kind of money on something that i am going to have to replace every couple of years. and yet, we replace our cell phones at least that often, as well as our other electronics and that doesn't annoy me. so why do i hate having to spend money on glasses?

i don't know. but i do sort of enjoy seeing . . . and reading . . . and not having headaches . . . so i guess i had better figure out something. besides those sparkly sunglasses are calling me . . . julie . . . julie . . . julie . . .

5 comments:

Smudge said...

You should try some of the online places for a cheaper option. This one is extremely reasonable:

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

Wendy said...

STOP YOUR THINKING AND START SHELLING OUT THE MONEY ALREADY! WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND YOUR MONEY ON?

This is my theory about your brain... you will NEVER have issues with forgetfulness because your brain NEVER shuts down! You are just like my husband in that you NEVER give the cells a rest! I'm exausted between the two of you! Down on the left bottom corner of your brain there's a little round button that can be pressed that says sleep! Push it!

Jewelielyn said...

hahaha--two words wendy--car payment! and btw, my brain shuts down--i just don't talk when it does, so i need to catch up when it is awake!

smudge--thanks for the idea! i will go check it out. maybe if i get my everyday glasses there, i can still get the ridiculously expensive sunglasses that i crave . . . someday . . .

Diandra Ann said...

you know, for that price you could get coach sunglasses. just a thought...

Jewelielyn said...

yes, diandra, i could. but the lenses wouldn't be prescription--and there is NO WAY i would EVER pay that much for a regular pair--even coach. that's just crazy!!!