Monday, March 30, 2009

random ramblings . . .

so today . . . i got up, went to school, turned on my computer, and here is the message that greeted me when i checked my facebook wall: diandra ann watching a bird fly around my parent's bedroom... it is not our pet... YIKES!! a bird was loose in my room?!?! how did that happen?!? i guess diandra had heard milo barking and barking. but when she would go in to our room see what the problem was, she couldn't find anything wrong. apparently the bird kept going behind the drapes, trying to get out--until the time it flew right at her face!! (i'm guessing there was screaming at that point . . . ) so she called rollie (our hero!) who came home from work, took out a window screen, and shooed the bird out with a tennis racket.

yes, we have a tennis racket--it is a chris evert tennis racket that i had when i was a teenager. and even though i don't play tennis, i can't seem to get rid of the racket. and thank goodness i didn't--otherwise there might still be a wild bird in our house! (unless he used the racquet ball racquet that i just HAD to have, which is also in the garage, because i don't play racquet ball anymore. no one will play with me without any rules or score keeping, which is how i like to play.)

after finding out that the bird situation was under control, i went back to working. i was sitting at the table monitoring kids, when i noticed joshua looking at me, intensely. sometimes he does that right before he says something "profound." so i looked right back at him. and then he said, "i'm going to change my name."
"oh?" i said, "to what?"
"flapjack!"
flapjack?!?!?
and then he said to me, "is that a real word?"
sometimes i am just speechless . . .

after school it was time to walk the dogs. my first thought this morning was, "i'm too tired to walk the dogs today--i am going to come home and take a nap." and i kept thinking that thought all day long. but when i got home, i just put on my walking shoes and headed out . . .

usually we don't see anyone else when we walk, but today when we turned a corner there was a guy walking ahead of us. as we got closer, i realized he was talking on his bluetooth. he was walking and just chattering away. and i thought, "wow! now through the wonders of technology you can go on a walk with your friend, even if your friend is in siberia--as long as they have cell service!"

speaking of technology, i didn't take my ipod today, because my earbuds keep falling out. you see, i have discovered that the hole in my left ear is abnormally small, and when i am walking the left earbud keeps falling out. which is sad, because my mom gave me bose earbuds for christmas, and the sound is awesome! (don't worry, mom. i can still wear them when i am sitting still, just not when i am walking.) today i just didn't want to deal with it, so i walked the old fashioned way--without music blasting in my ears. i thought it would make the walk seem really long and tedious, but my brain just kind of went into snooze mode and before i knew it, i was done.

then i came home, fell on the couch, and took a nap.

which is why, once again, i am up late blogging . . .

4 comments:

Diandra Ann said...

Javi keeps telling me how he likes to play raquetball but never gets the chance... maybe you should play with him :)

Jewelielyn said...

here's the thing--boys tend to want to follow rules and keep score . . .

Albert said...

by the way, a pigeon got in to my house once thru the chimminey when we were not home. it set off the burglar alarm, the police was called... he barged in the front door and saw a pigeon perched on my 50' tv, with poop all around the family room...

Jewelielyn said...

rollie thinks that is how this bird got in--through the chimney. i'm glad diandra found it. can you imagine how the house would have looked after a day of two dogs chasing a scared bird around the house?!?!