Tuesday, March 10, 2009

what to write, what to write . . .

so today . . . i can't write. i don't know what is going on. i've started two blogs, one about pricing new glasses and one about walking the dogs. but neither one was very good. even i wasn't interested in them, and i am writing them!

so then i thought i would go back and respond to some of the comments that have been left. i guess i thought there would be a way to go back and pull up all the comments. but either there isn't or i just can't figure it out by myself, and diandra isn't home.

so i am sitting here watching american idol, with the exhausted dogs laying next to me. rollie is already in bed, and diandra is apparently at ralph's buying tuna fish to eat before she goes on to do whatever it is she does at night (we call her vampira.) i have things i should be doing, but since i already walked the dogs today, i sort of feel like i've done enough.

oh wait! i know what i can write! i hope you are still reading . . .

so today . . . i drank a boba drink. my friend jessica brought it to me after lunch. i was threatening to drink my emergency pepsi, and so she brought me a boba. if you have never had one, they are interesting. my best guess is that it is kind of a coffee/tea/milk combination. it is sweetened (probably loaded with sugar) and you drink it iced. but the interesting thing is that it has these blobs in the bottom. they kind of remind me of the fish eggs we used to use for bait when i was a kid. my dad always had us put the fish eggs in our mouths until we needed them (i still can't believe i actually did this!) the blobs are perfectly round and seem to be tasteless, but firm and chewy. they are also kind of slippery. i had a boba one other time, but the blobs were big--i thought they were blueberries until i tasted one. of course i don't like blueberries either--they squish and squirt when you bite into them--but at least they have anti-oxidants. jessica, not knowing if i would like this or not, graciously only put about an inch of these little balls in the bottom of my drink. and they were small, like dippin' dots.

i wanted to be grateful, but boba and i are not friends. however it was so thoughtful of her, that i decided to give it another try. now here is the cool thing about boba drinks. they come in a clear plastic cup and the top is a clear plastic film that is sealed all around--spill-proof! then when you want to drink it, you use a pointy straw to stab into the lid (it is quite satisfying, once you get the hang of it) and then it is ready to enjoy! so i stabbed my straw through the top, swirled the boba around the bottom, and took a big drink. those little bobas went slithering up the straw, across my tongue, and down my throat. it was icky! i tried again, because i really wanted to like it, but it was still gross. i just couldn't do it.

now this is all happening in front of my two little boys at school. they are watching me, and joshua is making a face. he says, "i hate boba!" joshua doesn't say 'hate,' so this is a really strong statement from him. i said, "i don't think i am crazy about it either." then he says, "want me to show you how you can drink it without the bobas?" i say sure, and he shows me how to pull the straw up just until it clears the boba level at which point you only get the drink when you slurp through the straw, because the bobas are heavy. genius!

so i drank the drink, but couldn't quite ingest the bobas. apparently a lot of people really like them, but i think i am not one of them. however, the drink was delicious! and the good news is that you can order it with or without the bobas, which i found interesting since it was sealed. then i found out that at these boba places, you order your drink, they fix it the way you want it, and then they put that clear plastic seal on the top--right in front of you! i find that fascinating! now i am going to have to go to a boba place just to see them do that--i am easily entertained . . .

and i am lucky to have people in my life who think enough of me to bring me a boba drink and keep my emergency pepsi safe for another day . . .

3 comments:

Diandra said...

I had one of those yesterday too! Well sort of... I took Javi and Crystal before practice cuz Javi wanted one but Crystal and I stuck to the smoothies... safer but still yummie :) I cant quite do those little slimy balls either :( I think its our texture thing...

Anonymous said...

You have so many issues! I think YOU should be the student and those cute little dumplings of yours should be the teachers! Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what's already happening!

Anonymous said...

I believe its a thursday.. and its 10:28... WHERES YOUR BLOG?!!