Thursday, April 2, 2009

maybe i need a longer lunch "hour"

so today . . . i found myself sitting at the drive-thru window at el pollo loco, ready to take my lunch back to work, only to discover that i did not have my wallet!!

how does that happen?!?! i am female, and i carry a purse. so how can i not have my wallet?

here's how . . .

it began last night--well actually, it began several days ago. i got an email from one of my favorite stores (new york & co) telling me i had been awarded a "rewards" coupon. these are given after making 5 purchases in the store (i said it was my favorite store!) and it's a really good coupon, so i immediately sent it to my printer, and received a blank page in return. i tried several times to print it, but it just would not print!

ok, i thought, i shop in that store all the time. maybe if i go in there and explain what happened they will believe me and give me the discount without actually having the coupon in my hand. i look honest, don't i? so i tried that. they said no. however, the sales clerk continued, if i could access my email on my phone and show it to them, then i could take advantage of the discount. wonderful! except i don't know how to do that . . .

i spent the next several days trying to get my email on my phone. but if you have read my earlier posts, you know that my electronics hate me and rarely cooperate with my plans!

in the mean time, the clock was ticking . . . the special coupon would expire today.

i needed a plan. the coupon wouldn't print, i couldn't access it on my phone, it was about to expire, AND I WANTED TO USE IT! so i headed for the mall. i had decided that although i couldn't pull the email up on my phone, i COULD show it to them on my laptop. (this sounds extreme, i know, but it was a really good coupon!) so i added my wallet to my laptop bag (yes, there it is) and entered the store. i was ready! i shopped! and for the first time i can remember, i didn't find anything i wanted (well, they had these cute skirts, but they were out of my size . . . ) i have gone into the store before and come out without making a purchase, but i ALWAYS see something i would LIKE to take home. but not yesterday. it was so weird. after all that effort, i ended up leaving empty handed.

i headed for the parking lot, put the computer bag in the trunk, and went home.

which brings us back to today. there i was with food ordered and no money, because my wallet was still in my computer bag. they know me at el pollo loco. i go there a lot, because it is only a couple of miles from my school. i usually use the drive-thru because i only have a half hour lunch break. the guy who works that window covets my car, so he always remembers me. at least i like to think it is because of the car, and not because of my occasional strange behavior. the last time i was there, i gave him my debit card to pay, he processed it and handed it back to me with my drink, and i left. without my food. the car in line behind me kept honking while i was waiting for traffic. when i finally looked back, i could see they wanted me to return, so i did. and he gave me my abandoned food. today when i told him i didn't have my wallet but would be right back, he didn't even look surprised.

i'm afraid i am getting a reputation--i may have to go to chick-fil-a for my chicken from now on. either that or hide my emergency $20 in the car instead of in my wallet . . .

7 comments:

Albert said...

i think you should call this blog "see march 17th, part 2"..

i think blogs like today are the reason i follow you, the only blog i read in my busy schedule. its funny, and it makes me feel good about my youth!! just kidding!

Jewelielyn said...

enjoy it now albert--you are not THAT young . . . hahaha

albert said...

i know.. plus with my repuation, no fast food restaurant would let me get away with a promise to pay..

Diandra Ann said...

for the record... on your phone... just go on your web browser and type in "www.hotmail.com" you should be able to check it that way.

Anonymous said...

And your age is____________________?

Jewelielyn said...

hahaha! a secret . . .

Jewelielyn said...

thanks diandra--i tried that, but i just get a blank screen. i need help . . .