Friday, April 17, 2009

reading is FUNdamental

so today . . . i've spent the afternoon reading blogs.

i love to read! i always have. both of my parents are teachers and avid readers. my dad would rather read a book than watch tv, and my mom would rather read than do almost anything else (except maybe eat gummy bears!) we grew up surrounded by books. one of my favorite memories as a child was going to the library every week in the summer and bringing home stacks of books to read and then lying in the hammock in the backyard reading them. i started reading mysteries when i was in second or third grade. remember the encyclopedia brown stories? i could never guess "who dunnit?" but i loved to try.

when diandra was born, i couldn't help but have hopes and dreams for her future. and of all the things i wanted for her, near the top of the list was that she would love to read. we started reading to her long before she could talk. i knew "goodnight, moon" by heart. and she learned to read early--not because her preschool teacher mom taught her to, but because she looked at books and listened to them so much that she started learning the words by sight. i was so relieved! yes, i thought, i have raised a reader!

and then she entered the fifth grade . . .

fifth grade, by all accounts, was a terrible year for her. school issues, social issues, independence issues all collided to make it "the year we would all like to forget." but it was also the year she stopped reading for fun. she would still read for school, but if it wasn't assigned by her teacher, she wasn't reading it. this was devastating to her reader mom! i just couldn't imagine that my child didn't want to go to the library with me in the summer and check out armloads of books and then sit in the swing in the backyard and read them. and while many of her issues from that year resolved themselves in the years to come, this one did not.

i have to say, i still do not like it one little bit that she won't go to the library and get a book to read. i don't think she even has a library card! and yet, i envision her reading while she has lunch (like i do,)reading to relax (like i do,) reading before she goes to sleep (like i used to, until i got a laptop--because now instead of reading a book at night, i write my blog and read my email and read the blogs that i stalk and read messages from my friends on facebook, and read . . . )

and there it is!

you see, she does read--she just doesn't read books from the library. she reads magazines, she reads lots of blogs, she reads facebook, she reads THOUSANDS of text messages, she reads her Bible. and she writes two blogs. when i think about it, she reads a lot--she just doesn't read books from the library.

i guess as times and technologies change, so does the way we interact with our world. one of the teachers at school uploads books and reads them on her iphone. the assistant pastor at our church has something called a kindle, which is apparently like a pocket-sized computer screen onto which he can upload books and read them. there are a seemingly unlimited number of different magazines from which to choose. and if it's research you need, everything is just a click away on google.

i still read books when i am eating lunch. and during my summer vacation, sometimes i will read a whole book in one day (instead of all the other stuff i should be doing.) but i find that i spend a lot of time on the internet now, stalking blogs or researching the latest techno gadget that my mom is looking at or bookmarking stuff that i will never buy. and i guess that i have to recognize that as reading time even though no books are involved.

i love my computer and the internet and technology. but for me, nothing will ever replace that feeling i get when i go to the library, check out a stack of books, and head for the backyard . . . it's probably similar to the one diandra gets when she sees her favorite blogger has posted another entry or a new magazine has hit the newsstand . . .

7 comments:

im not putting my name for this one said...

In Grumpy old man voice:
"Back in my days, we didn't have anything called the Bible! We had to read God's words from scrolls. And even though the scrolls contradicted each other we believed in the Word. And that's the way we liked it..."

Jewelielyn said...

hahaha! ok, well at least you were READING!!! sheesh! i didn't know anyone that old could navigate the internet and find my blog . . . thanks for the laugh!

Mom said...

I loved today's blog. I've always said the person that does not read is no different from the person who can't read. For me, I read a lot of material, but nothing will ever replace the touch and feel and the reading of a book...Read on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diandra said...

I do too read. a lot actually. you just don't see me do it... you don't see me on lunch breaks or before I go to bed. I have a book in myy room right now... and several in my office...

Jewelielyn said...

YAY!! then i DID raise a reader, and i AM a successful mom! now i can die happy!!!

Wendy said...

I was waiting for Diandra to speak up! I only read in the summer and Christmas break. I'm trying to start Twilight now. I'm spending the day in the park with Sarah, so maybe today is the day!

Sherry Hunt said...

I am often reading a library book. AND listening to a book on Cd in my car and sometimes another on the "boom box" in my bedroom.

My stepdaughters are amazed that Nathan reads (sometimes more books at once) as much as I do. Lynn tends to one book at a time, but he always carries it with him. And he puts the CD books on his ipod instead of music and listens at work sometimes.

Being raised by different mothers has had a marked difference in the attitude my three kids have toward books.

I am blessed that I had a grandmother who always felt a book was the perfect gift. And a mom who was always happy to take me to the library.