Saturday, April 11, 2009

the pressure of being funny

so today . . . i realized that maybe i shouldn't be blogging every single day.

you all have lives and realize, i think, that some days are just mundane. you do the stuff that you do every other day, don't have any unusual encounters with anyone, nothing interesting crosses your path--you just get up, go to work, come home, do the stuff you need to do, and then go to bed. and that's ok, because you don't have to come up with something entertaining to blog about.

i have days like that too--days when i haven't laughed, days when nothing out of the ordinary has happened, days when i just want to watch tv and go to bed. but 9:00 rolls around and i think, "aagghhh! i need to blog!" so i sit down with my computer and think back over my day and try to come up with something that i think somebody will be interested in reading. some days, something will come to me after i type in those first few words, but other days i get nothing. and yet that almost blank screen is still staring at me saying, "so today . . . " and waiting for a response.

i appreciate those of you who read my blog--it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to write if no one was reading it! and i also appreciate your comments--i like hearing from you, and sometimes even responding to your comments. but i am not a professional writer--i am just throwing words out there for you to pick up if you want to. and i am not a fiction writer--i'm not making anything up here! if my day is routine, the blog probably isn't going to be all that entertaining.

this is my 100th blog. it's hard to believe i have written that much--do i really have that much to say? probably not. so i am kind of at a transition point. i don't know whether to only blog if i feel like i have something entertaining to say, or if i should continue to try to blog every day even if my entry turns out to be kind of mundane . . .

as i have considered this today, the conclusion i have come to is this--i am still going to try to write every day, because my mom looks forward to reading it each morning. she may be the only one, but even if she is, it is worth doing it, for her. i am not lucky enough to live close to my parents, so we have to keep in contact electronically. i call her sometimes, and we talk about the big stuff that is happening, but she misses all the little stuff. and sometimes the little stuff really defines who we are. i can't just call her up and say, "want to go to the mall today?" or "let's go have lunch!" because she lives 1000 miles away! so my blog is how i share my life with her. and she cares about my obsessive need to organize my music instead of letting itunes do whatever it does (even though i am sure she doesn't understand that need any more than the rest of you!) she sees my "insanity" in things (and probably wonders which part of the family tree is responsible for my issues) and then comes back the next day to see what else is going on . . .

i'm not writing a sitcom here. this is my life. sometimes it is boring. yours probably is too. some days i am GLAD it is boring, especially when i hear from a friend who has recently discovered her wonderful husband has cancer, or another one who has been fighting that battle for seven long years, or a third one who has fallen prey to the economy and is losing her home. some days you get news that turns your life upside down. and sometimes, i can't blog those things--they are just too personal or painful to share. boring isn't always bad--some days i wish for boring over the actual circumstances of my life . . . some days, maybe you do too . . .

so this is just fair warning that if you choose to continue to read my blogs (and i hope you do!) i will continue to look for something each day that will make you laugh. but you should also realize that some days just aren't funny, and i'll be blogging those too. hopefully, as i continue, the funny will far outweigh the mundane.

and because every blog is better with a picture, here is one of my favorite pictures of my very camera shy mother and me.isn't she cute? i love you mom!! i wish we could go to the mall . . .

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I agree... boring is a blessing!

Anonymous said...

you are absolutly right sometimes our lifes are'nt so funny all the times, and thats really nice that you write this for your mom, so keep writting.

Mom said...

You made me cry. I wish we could go to the mall, too. Many years ago, when I was visiting my mom, she said to me, "I wish you were closer so that I could just drop in once in a while." At the time, I didn't quite get it. After all, here I was visiting her. In recent years, I have discovered what she meant. I do love you and always appreciate the time you spend here. Keep well and happy.

Jewelielyn said...

well, get ready mom, because we are coming again--diandra and i were just talking about it today . . .