Thursday, January 22, 2009

if you are tired of hearing about me being sick, just move on . . .

so today . . . i am still sick. i am so sick i stayed home from school, which i never do, and even went to the doctor, which i do more frequently. now i have medicine, and i am feeling a little bit better.

let me just say that i love kaiser permanente. i know there are people who don't, but i have no complaints. with just a couple of exceptions, i have had wonderful doctors and wonderful care. i had surgery on my wrist, which cost me a grand total of $5. the $400 a month medication i take only costs me $5. and they will send it to me--i don't even have to find time to go pick it up! i admit there have been times when i have seen an on call doctor with whom i have not connected well, but most of my doctors have been personable, caring, knowledgable people. i met another one today.

when i called the nurse advice line to see if i should go in and see a doctor or just suffer at home until i got better, she thought i needed to see someone today. sadly, there were no available appointments at my usual clinic. but they did find me one at a clinic about 20 minutes away--all freeway, so the drive was easy! it's true that you never know what you are going to get with a same day appointment, but the doctor i saw today was a gem. she didn't just treat my congestion, she also took care of some other routine procedures, and by the time i left, i had future appointments with a dermatologist and a gynecologist, a prescription for antibiotics AND a prescription to treat my symptoms until the antibiotic does its work!

i have heard people complain that they can't get their doctors to order any tests or procedures beyond the bare minimum, but that doesn't appear to be the case with kaiser, at least in orange county. once they get you, they want to poke and prod as much as you will let them. "do you want to get your flu shot today? it's free!" "we are set up to do mammograms today. would you like to take care of that while you are here?" "oh, i see it is time for your (fill in annual procedure here.) can we do that today since you are already here?" today i just wanted to say, "no! i can't breathe! just give me drugs, and let me go home!!" but i didn't, because i WAS already there and it WOULD save me the inconvenience of making time for a future visit . . .

and i am so glad i said yes, because while i am still sick, i have hope that soon i will be feeling much better. AND i have referrals to take care of some other health problems i wasn't even aware of. AND i found a new doctor that i really like--even if she is 20 miles away . . .

No comments: